Dog fighting in Indy

Dateline: Sat 07 Nov 2009

This is from theHumane Society of Indianapolis, which sent this information out today.

First the news, later commentary -- and hopefully some action:

"VICTIM OF DOG FIGHTING BROUGHT TO HUMANE SOCIETY OF INDIANAPOLIS
Five-year-old dog found on north side last night latest casualty of bloodsport.

A five-year-old dog is the latest victim of dog fighting in Indianapolis. “Valor” was found by Good Samaritans on Guion Rd. north of 71st St. last night and brought to the Humane Society of Indianapolis (HSI) for medical attention. The dog was injured too badly to be saved and serves as an unfortunate reminder that the vicious “sport” of dog fighting is alive and well in Indianapolis.

Two Good Samaritans noticed a huddled mass on the side of the road shortly after rush hour. They pulled over, opened their door, and Valor, a tan, five-year-old Pit Bull Terrier, limped towards them. They wrapped him in a sleeping bag and drove him to HSI, hoping that he could be helped.

The medical team at HSI immediately recognized Valor was the victim of dog fighting. In spite of the severity of injuries, he remained calm and docile, and was easily sedated for a thorough exam, wound treatment, and radiographs.

The dog, an unaltered male with no identification, suffered more than 50 puncture wounds, many new, some scarred and healing. The worst of the punctures was on his chest, which bled severely throughout the exam. Both front legs had been broken - one so severe and recent that it would have required amputation. The other had healed but was so badly misshapen that it couldn’t have held his weight if the other were to be amputated.

Due to Valor’s extensive wounds, the risk for infection, and his inability to bear weight on his forelegs, Valor was humanely euthanized.

“Valor is unfortunate proof that dog fighting is a problem in Indianapolis,” said Christine Jeschke, HSI director of shelter operations. “You always hear about it in other cities, but it happened in someone’s back yard not far from our shelter tonight.”

The situation has been reported to the Indianapolis Animal Care and Control Dog Fighting Task Force, charged with investigating cases like Valor’s.

Dog fighting can happen anywhere. If you know of a dog fight in progress, call 911. If you notice suspicious signs of dog fighting or animal cruelty such as puncture wounds, paraphernalia such as treadmills in yards, or dogs who appear in poor health on heavy chains and left outside at all times, call 262-TIPS to report anonymously. Additionally, if you suspect animal cruelty, you can call Animal Care and Control at 327-1397 or the Mayor’s Action Center at 327-4MAC. Ask for a case number so you can follow up to ensure a resolution.

For more information, see the Dog Fighting resources at www.indypitcrew.org. To support animal-welfare efforts in Indianapolis, consider donating to or volunteering at your local shelter.

Images of Valor can be viewed at the link below. WARNING: the photographs are graphic and may be considered disturbing.

###

Our Vision:
All central Indiana animals are treated with dignity and respect and live free from cruelty, harm and neglect. "

Comments

Hell is too good for the vermin who organize and attend these fights.

And, as the movie told us a few years ago, "All dogs go to heaven." Even pit bulls.

2009-11-07 16:51:36

I wish cows did, too. Pigs. Chickens. I find humans that draw distinctions between members of the animal kingdom to be strange. But I'm not going to grandstand this for yet another vegetarian message.

Oops.

2009-11-07 20:07:56

Hendy,

Fire away with that veggie message! I have been a vegetarian since 1986. I don't eat anything that had a mother.

This dog fighting is horrible and the perpetrators should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. My thought is that most of these people are probably child abusers as well as dog abusers.

If they get near my two mini dachshund, who I love like children, they will be in BIG trouble.

2009-11-07 20:20:58

news junkie [Member] said:

Better not eat bananas and other food crops that come from a 'mother' plant.

2009-11-07 20:30:08

I'm going to ask this, because I truly don't know, and figured the brains who post here would be able to help:

Do the dog fighters do this for sport, or is there serious money wagered on these fights?

I'm trying to determine why anyone would do this. I mean, watching dogs fight for the sport of it is just disgustingly sick, and my basic belief in man's humanity holds firm. But, there's something going on out there, witness this;

At the polls last Tuesday, I heard a voter, whom I've known for 20 years and whom I respect, defend dog fighters. The subject came up because a nearby television was running an ESPN update on Michael Vick and hisk demise due to dog fighting convictions.

The voter said it was "cultural" and that the media "made too much about this." Several folks working the polls nodded their heads in agreement. I was shocked.

I guess I should mention that the insinuation was that white folks "don't understand" some of the various cultural practices of the African American community. And if this is part of that "culture," (sigh), I guess I don't understand.

2009-11-08 05:12:09

It's possible that testosterone still courses through your veins. Guys like watching fights. Dog fights are an extension of that. In some cultures, it's big stuff.

But we also watch horse races, greyhound races, and other competitions as you mention. Some ethnic groups seem to have less cultural bias against such things than others.

Tribal behavior insists that we find who's alpha, and who isn't. Extending that to the animal kingdom is the sport. It's not a very nice sport, in fact, it's awful.

Much of politics behaves this way, albeit on another plane. Who can raise the most money? Say the pithiest remarks? Lead our 'packs' and tribes?

Vick had too much testosterone in his veins, too. Instead of redirecting the compulsions, he trained dogs to kill each other. There are sociopaths everywhere, further exacerbating the problem. Add people with no conscience with high testosterone and a little booze or pot, and look at what can happen.

2009-11-08 08:33:44

Very perceptive and insightful analysis, Hendy.

I also agree with TTT who mentioned the so-called "cultural" acceptance of dog fighting. Evil and cruelty are evil and cruel no matter which culture is involved in doing it.

I have never heard any prominent civil rights activists excuse this horrible practice.

2009-11-08 11:25:42

Dog fighting is like "honor killing," in that both are practiced and encouraged by sociopathic brutes who should themselves be pitched into an arena.

Saying that dog fighting is a cultural thing is the same excuse used for child rape in 3rd world societies. (And we're talking here about primitive people with primitive morals.)

Michael Vick should never have been allowed on a football field again; he is a disgrace to the human race, sorry for being caught but still not understanding that he has outed himself as having no soul.

2009-11-08 12:54:36

Mr Greenacres and I agree about Mr Vick. What a great example to give kids.

We'll never have peace until mothers teach their sons not to fight the wars of their grandfathers.

2009-11-08 22:10:19

A friend whom I've known for over 30 years talked with me about this subject in our church parking lot yesterday.

This friend told me he and his fellow African-Americans "are getting crucified for trying to have a little fun."

Yep. That's right. He used the "c" word right there in a church parking lot. With conviction. And he diminished the effects of dog fighting as "just another recreational pastime."

So, now, I officially "don't get it."

2009-11-09 05:06:57

T3, tell your knucklehead AA friend that dog fighting involves:

-Using puppies, kittens, household pets as bait dogs, giving fighting dogs in training a taste for blood. (These bait animals are often stolen, and you should never offer "free dogs" to people you don't know.)

-Old and losing dogs are unceremoniously killed, by shooting, drowning, neglect (i.e., starvation or no treatment of wounds). This was Vick's practice.

-There's no graceful retirement for these dogs. They are brutally trained to kill other dogs, and are generally not adoptable "after the ring." They are fought until they can't fight and then abandoned or killed.

-And what kind of "men" get their rocks off watching dogs tear other dogs to bits, with blood and pieces of skin and fur flying?

I have 3 dogs. All rescues. Will always have dogs, and subscribe to the heart-felt dictum that "All dogs deserve a loving home."

2009-11-09 07:24:02

Tom, I agree with everything you said. Here is the shocking side of my earlier poist:

This man is a respected, college-eductaed professional. He made his comment to me, in that beautiful sunny parking lot yesterday (wasn't yesterday glorious?), as a middle-agred minority male who was feeling put=upon by society.

If he'd said "not all blacks agree with this," he'd have made a powerful statement about some of our broad-brush assumptions. But he went a step further, and defended the action.

I've owned a lot of pets in my lifetime. Grew up helping on my great-grandfather's farm. He was hard as a rock, an uncompromising Depression-era Republican, whose soft spot was his family and animals. I never knew what I'd find when I'd arrive at his farm. He literally nursed wounded hawks back to life. Dogs, cats...all had a home on his 420 acres.

I've never owned an animal that didn't come form the shelter.

So my jaw is still on the ground in my church parking lot. I re-=emphasize this is a respected man of faith and deep conviction.

It just doesn't transfer to animals, I guess. I has assumed only evil, dark-hearted folks agreed with dog fighting.

So much for my broad-brush, huh?

2009-11-09 07:45:38

"Fun?! Your church going AA friend is a total schmuck. I would not allow children, women or old folks to be left in the unattended company of such."
-----------

This harkens back to my previous point. I have no statistics to back this up, but I would highly suspect that anyone who would "feed" a little helpless kitten or puppy to a pit bull-in-training would also abuse a child or an elderly person.

Evil generally knows no bounds.

2009-11-09 12:07:33

I think the cultural side of this disgusting act, goes a lot deeper than we think. It may be generational, too. I have no idea.

2009-11-09 20:24:27

ellen [unverified] said:

when i had to have our beloved dog jack euthanized about 9 yrs ago, the vet told me that he expected to see all of his departed pets in heaven, and that if they weren't there, waiting for him, he wasn't so sure heaven was worth going to.

our dear napoleon will be euthanized soon -- our third consecutive dog to suffer cancer . . . three different types. if the vet's right, napoleon and jack will have some great stories to swap about my kids.

anyone who can regard a dog as something to be made vicious and then forced to fight for its life is missing an essential part of his or her mind as well as soul.

2009-11-09 22:47:14

Pass the Kleenex. Ellen, Godspeed to you and Nappy.

2009-11-10 07:28:09

Ellen,

I'm sorry for your loss. One of ours, a miniature poodle, was known to occasionally take off for a jaunt around the neighborhood. Crossing a busy street, he was killed. It devastated the family. He was a great and lively dog, a rapscallion, and full of life. He's buried in the back yard. A rose bush marks the grave.

What you'll find is that there are two types of homo sapiens, one of them is a sociopath, with no real love and no conscience. They walk among us, they live in our jails, and as a society, we do very little to shape their behavior except to make laws with consequences. That curative step is no substitute for a heart. But we find them in all occupations and they do awful things because they have no conscience, and no concept of that in other beings. Much peace to you, your family, and Napoleon. If there is a heaven, all dogs must go there.

2009-11-10 08:26:17

"I hope you're wrong, Whitebeard. Cause this guy has been, in every respect, a fine gentleman. His remarks just threw me."
-------------
Let me clarify, TTT. I am not saying this man is a child abuser and/or abuser of the elderly. My response was really about the people who make the dogs fight and feed little kittens and puppies to the dogs in training.
I'm assuming the man you are talking about doesn't do that.

One afterthought: I wonder if his response to you had to do (maybe subconsciously) with the sometimes unjust treatment minorities receive through the judicial system. I wonder if his comment had to do with his perceived feelings of an extra degree of harshness in punishment for A-As who get caught doing crimes vs. middle or upper-class Caucasians?

Just doing some amateur psychology musing here.

But there is no excuse for excusing dog fighting or any other abuse of animals.

2009-11-10 12:30:32

Mike [unverified] said:

Here is an excellent primer on dog fighting. It is a northern European context but it explains the culture surrounding the blood sport. Notice all involved are Caucasian. Also, note that the UK's ban includes two of the three "pit bull" breed types. Since it misses the third type, they choose to neither amend it to include it, nor enforce it as is. This documentary won awards for investigative journalism. It is very instructive to the Indianapolis dog fighting / pit bull problem:

2009-11-10 14:24:53

Mike [unverified] said:

Humane Society of the United State's suggestions for combating dog fighting:

2009-11-10 15:34:47

Many but not all dog lovers know of the Rainbow Bridge:

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...